Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Accidental pumpkin patch


Since I've been more active on Facebook in the last week or two, I've been neglecting this blog. It wasn't just Facebook, actually. First we had a late Spring freeze, and the unexpectedly cold weather. Then we had rain for the better part of a week. And NOW we have unseasonably HOT weather. Well... what happens when it rains alot and then gets really warm? Stuff grows! And my stuff is no exception.

A couple weeks ago when I was moving my compost bins, I found these little seedlings growing where one bin had been. (One bin had been, try saying that three times fast) This past October, I helped my kids carve pumpkins for the first time in their lives. We recycled pumpkin goo by chucking it in the compost pile. Well apparently quite a few of the seeds were viable because a few pumpkin plants sprouted up where I spread some compost-mulch. And now a couple little pumpkin plants have sprung up over by my shed where the compost bins were. I have put some compost-mulch around them and will leave them to become another accidental pumpkin patch. We'll see how they do but already I noticed there are tiny buds on these seedlings like they might come into bloom unusually early.

I probably won't be writing here much anymore. But I will try to keep photo-documenting the growth of my "garden" (aka plants free-range growing wherever they'd like around my yard).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home