Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What I'm doing at daycare...

Well here we go again, a big lapse in my blogging. I just can't seem to get in the writing habit. You know, the problem is, I just don't really know what is interesting to other people. My life falls into a comfortable routine and I can't imagine that anyone else would care to really hear about that. I occasionally have funny little things happen to me that I could perhaps comment on, but you know, my memory is getting so bad (when did THAT happen) so that when I come to sit down and write something, I know that something funny happened but I can't recall what it was. I'm only 35. What's happening to me?

(Burst into tears)

Sniff sniff. (fast recovery)

Well I will just write quickly about the big events, realized and potential, of the week. I always thought early voting was like (now don't laugh!!) something for the handicapped but I learned this year that *anyone* can vote early. So I had big plans to do that this week. It's Thursday and I haven't done it yet. I guess I want someone to go with me to hold my hand. You know, I've never voted before? (blushing) Yes, I'm terribly irresponsible when it comes to being a patriotic US citizen but this year I feel I NEED to cast my vote because I feel strongly about the candidate that I support. I guess I got a little overwhelmed when I went to votexas.org and saw a sample ballot that was SIX PAGES LONG. I was like... do I have to actually vote for someone in EACH category? I just want to vote for president. But I guess it's something I need to do. I put it on my calendar for next Tuesday and I really hope I stick to it.

One night last week, I got a phone call from Miss Khaleelah, the owner of the daycare I've been going to- ahem, to WORK AT, not because I need a daycare program- not yet anyway... She told me she wants me and my co-worker to start really taking over and planning a curriculum for the kids as we see fit. So I spent one day in contemplation about that, just letting my mind come up with some ideas, and then one day sitting and writing down ideas and requesting materials online from my local library, and then finally last Sunday I went into the empty daycare for 4 hours to reorganize the place and sit down to list what materials we have to work with. I really enjoy the time I spend working with the kids there, and yes, as predicted, I've already gotten very attached to them. The challenge is that we have a WIDE age range, even though we don't have a large enrollment. We have two "babies" from 1-2 years old, two 3 year olds, one of which is "special needs" (or as people like to call it now, ECI= Early Childhood Intervention), a very clever 4 year old and then two homeschooled (or should I say UNschooled) kids ages 8 and 10. And another part time 3 year old. So it's a trick to get them all working independently at the same time, when actually they ALL need or want (same thing in my book) my undivided constant attention. We're working out the kinks. But last week when I was planning, I decided to just choose a theme for every week. Originally, I had wanted to do a geographic theme, because the kids (age 3 and up) all know the 7 continents and I thought it would be great if they started narrowing it down to countries and such. So this week, we have been talking about Hawaii, which of course is not even ON our wall map of the world so I have to draw it in now (rolling my eyes). The kids probably think I am making it up or something haha! We made macaroni and paper flower lei's, an read some books with Hawaii themes, and are going to make grass skirts out of green crepe paper streamers, and colored in palm trees to cut and paste on construction paper, and I brought them a fresh pineapple and coconut that we will taste on Friday at our Hawaii fun day Friday party. Miss Khaleelah is making Hawaiian chicken for lunch on Friday and we'll watch Lilo and Stitch and try hula dancing. :-) And then maybe have a field trip to a park since the weather has been so lovely lately.

The funny thing is that last year I basically turned down a first grade teaching position because I thought I wouldn't enjoy working with such small kids, or that I wouldn't be able to juggle a wide range of skill levels and here I am, with even YOUNGER kids and an even BIGGER range of skill levels. So this is a good experience for me, while I'm getting paid a very minimal wage, I'm also getting some experience that is boosting my confidence, not to mention that I am actually enjoying myself. In fact, now I think I would actually prefer to work with younger kids. They are so loving and *funny* and since they don't know much yet, it's so easy to teach them. Everything is new to them. But I also really enjoy my 8 and 10 year old kids, too.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing lately!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alicia Yahoo said...

so did you vote today?!

and what's this week theme?

love ya!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home